Spider and varicose veins are two conditions that are common throughout the world. These vein problems are mainly treated using radio frequency closure methods, laser techniques, and sclerotherapy solutions. This article seeks to discuss the differences between the two conditions.
These veins can be seen through a person’s skin surface. The following are some of the basic characteristics of spider veins:
- Blue or red in color
- Are not painful
- Small with many trails the same as a tree with many branches
- Appear on different parts of the body which include your face, arms, chest, and legs
- Do not lead to serious medical problems
- Treatment is not catered for by insurance
These bulging veins are unsightly and are extremely painful and far more serious than spider veins. These veins become larger overtime, and if left untreated, varicose veins can cause serious health complications like leg ulcers, blood clots, and phlebitis.
The following are some basic characteristics of varicose veins:
- Large and resemble twisted cords
- Purple or dark blue in color
- Develop on any part of the leg
- Can lead to serious medical complications
- Treatment is catered for by insurance
What Causes Spider Veins and Varicose Veins?
- Jobs that involve standing for a long period of time like that of hair stylists, factory workers, and nurses
- Hormonal influences of menopause, puberty, and pregnancy
- Consumption of birth control pills
- Hormone replacement for women who are passed menopause
- Other conditions like constipation and tumors that create pressure in a person’s abdomen
- Blood clots
- Being exposed to ultraviolet rays
- Injury or trauma to a person’s skin
- History of vein surgery
Treatment of Spider Veins and Varicose Veins
- Lifestyle changes: Weight loss, skin hygiene and walking exercises can help you treat spider and varicose veins.
- Sclerotherapy: This treatment was established in the 1930s and is still in use today. This treatment involves the use of a detergent or salt solution that is injected into the spider or varicose vein, causing it to disappear after a period of 3-6 weeks.
- Venefit™: In this treatment, frequency pulses are transmitted to the vein, causing the vessel wall to collapse.
Schedule a Consultation
If you have been looking for a solution to your spider or varicose veins, treatment is possible. Contact The Vein Center today to schedule your consultation. We will be able to provide an evaluation and develop a treatment plan suitable for your needs.